As with all its products, the company closely monitored ULTAMET® Metal-on-Metal Articulation after it was introduced. DePuy reviewed performance data from a variety of sources, including published and unpublished data from national joint registries, published literature, company-sponsored clinical trials and internal complaint data.
The company continues to closely monitor the performance data for ULTAMET Metal-on-Metal and considers all available sources on an ongoing basis. Our ongoing monitoring of clinical data for ULTAMET Metal-on-Metal has continued to show a track record of reducing pain and restoring mobility for patients suffering from chronic hip pain, as noted below.
ULTAMET Metal-on-Metal is backed by a strong record of clinical data showing reduced pain and restored mobility for patients suffering from chronic hip pain.
- For the results from a publication of four DePuy sponsored multi-center studies, click here for the abstract. The publisher of this article does not endorse or sponsor any DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. products or websites.
- For the most recently published national joint registry data from the UK and Australia, please visit: http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/ and https://aoanjrr.sahmri.com
- For additional scientific literature on ULTAMET Metal-on-Metal, please click the links below.
- Barrett, William P., et al. “Large-Diameter Modular Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty.” The Journal of Arthroplasty 27 2012. Read here
- Bernasek, Thomas L., et al. “Five- to ten-year outcomes for modular metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty” The Journal of Arthroplasty 28 2013. Read here
- Engh, Charles A., et al. “Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty Adverse Local Tissue Reaction” Seminars in Arthroplasty 21 2010. Read here
- Huang, Der-Chen T., et al. “Cumulative revision rate is higher in metal-on-metal THA than metal-on-polyethylene THA: analysis of survival in a community registry.” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 421 2013. Read here
- Kindsfater, Kirk A., et al. “Minimum 5-Year Results of Modular Metal-On-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty” Journal of Arthroplasty 27 2012. Read here
- Liudhal, Adam A., et al. “Metal on Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty Using Modular Acetabular Shells” Journal of Arthroplasty 28 2013. Read here
- Varnum, Claus, et al. “Increased risk of revision of cementless stemmed total hip arthroplasty with metal-on-metal bearings.” Acta Orthopaedica 86 2015. Read here